Thursday 28 March 2013

Seeking to understand the tradition ...


The above ("Laid to Rest" Skull Brooch - one of my stitched 'artworks') was one result of studying some worked examples of an embroidery technique (needlelace) whilst researching WWII. 

During the past week I've been studying some of my collection of embroidery samples - mainly to update details for The Stitch Sanctuary (if you click this link you'll be able to see them). Anyway, whilst doing it, I was reminded of the phrase:



Seek to understand the tradition and the techniques will regenerate within your imagination


... and I belive (just as in the example above) that's quite a true saying. On looking at my samples quite a few new 'stitchery' ideas are beginning to 'float to the surface' .

2 x US Fashion Dolls

These 2 were the first dolls out of the "collection box" - both are American & appx. 10"/25cm tall.  They were just a lit...