Wednesday, 30 July 2014
Saturday, 26 July 2014
Friday, 25 July 2014
I'm now about to begin the next part of the work - below is the final stage of adding black thread.
Some sheets of cling wrap have been coated in PVA & this has been layed over the work. being a nice warm day, it's drying well so I can remove the plastic when tacky. Here's the result while still wet - I'll have to wait til totally dry to continue.
Thursday, 17 July 2014
The fabrics are gradually becoming merged together with the threads - one of the problems is the breaking of the fine threads when working through the thicker plastic/paper/fabric layers. Other than that the technique is quite enjoyable to work & a few 'stitch' options are appearing!! Here's a close-up section of the above:
Two other results have arisen from this - one being the visual image as it 'moves back' while taking a picture of it (below left) - the other, the reverse of the sample is quite interesting (below right).
Whilst working this piece, I've decided to finally give it the title of "I started life as a cell" - after all, that's how I came about !!!
Friday, 11 July 2014
On Amazon the other week I came across the above book "Stitch & Structure" by Jean Draper & for some reason had to buy it (as you do!!!). It's been a brilliant read & provided lots of inspirational ideas especially to do with dissolvable fabrics & the variety around today. I think I shall have to get hold of some now as I think it will answer some of my creative problems I'm experiencing re the 'cell' & other projects.
I'm still stitching with metallic threads on 'Black Cell' in the studio but much of my time recently has been spent dressmaking for customers as well as some alterations for 'Prom dresses'.
Sorry Black Cell !!! work must come first!