Saturday 14 September 2013

Radial ball flower sparks ideas ...


Not being a gardener, I can't put a name to this but spotting it in a neighbour's garden has sparked off an idea - maybe connected with my buttons. Having cleaned all the odd ones at the beginning of the week, I'm now looking at ways to incorporate them into a design. I don't want to use any ones with shanks (as I don't have that many of them) & the choice is either to use them in a 2D or 3D format.

Taking the image above (& looking at other 'vegetation' pix I've taken), made me realise I do like shapes (& patterns) like this. Why? .......... I don't know but I'm now going to explore this .......... (& question this thought! as I feel in the mood to write it down ... quickly):

  • What do I see? ..... radial - spokes - central pivot - different 'ends' - impression of a ball or sphere made up of separate 'bits' - image of a 'globe' - simple individual shapes - growth in the making
  • Why do I like it? ..... contrast colours - spherical shape - implies 3D - specific individual sections - implied movement
  • What does it mean? (to me) ..... individual shape - one complete unit made from many separate ones - different from other flowers since it's made up of many - multi-faceted
  • What does it actually mean? (by definition) ..... if the plant is an allium, it's apparently a 'monocot' & (according to wikipaedia) something to do with it being made up of 3 (or multiples of 3) - if an allium, I also like many of the others in this family of plants both for colour & shape
  • What next? ..... allium appears to interest me so will find out more so WATCH THIS SPACE !!
ADDENDUM:
Have just found this on the Internet which possibly captures my next direction!

Introduction to Cells
More educational videos on Cell Structures at NeoK12.com  

2 x US Fashion Dolls

These 2 were the first dolls out of the "collection box" - both are American & appx. 10"/25cm tall.  They were just a lit...