Monday 25 July 2011

Ideas ...

Many of my 'projects' often start as a 3D image (in my head) or follow on from some sort of 3D-visual. A good example of this is Project Mosaic - starting out as a result of this photo:


Sad Sunflower

It was taken a few years ago when out for the day on a photo-gathering trip - something I've done periodically over the years. Usually picking a specific theme for the trip (in this case vegetation) - giant sunflowers were seen growing on an allotment somewhere. This particular one looked very 'unhappy' with its head hung down & canes nearby, so I took this shot. Put into my collection as reference, when I came across it last week, it reminded me of the sunflower I made as a teenager. One of my many projects from an early age, it stood in the corner of my bedroom for many years ... appx. 6 foot tall, in crepe paper with a broom handle stem.

Last year, towards the end of the summer, I bought some cut flowers ... a bunch of 4 smaller sunflowers that I could photograph to add to my previous large one. This time they would have their petals showing! Here they are:
Happy Sunflower

Now, having the 2 sets of photos together (and somewhere in my tunnels of imagination), it has triggered off thoughts of colourful patchwork (crazy?) using or adapting pieces of embroidery in my collection. In my minds eye, I can now see a hazy mosaic starting to come together. At this stage I don't know what ... this usually happens a bit later.

Anyway, this is where I'm hoping the blog can help - I should be able to track my thoughts a bit easier!

2 x US Fashion Dolls

These 2 were the first dolls out of the "collection box" - both are American & appx. 10"/25cm tall.  They were just a lit...