Sunday 31 July 2011

WWII Make Do & Mend ...

Several years ago, after my father died, I took to researching a WWII topic to make a textile item in memory of him. He flew in the RAF but never spoke of his wartime activities so my research took me to the Imperial War Museum. 'Make Do & Mend' seemed an ideal topic (for many reasons) to study & I finally made an oversize fabric book recording my findings. (The outer cover below depicts aerial shots of nightime bombings.)

Embroidered Book Cover

During my research, I had seen many images from films & printed material ... read many passages & records of events ... but one phrase I came across stuck in my mind:

I have become death - the destroyer of worlds

This is my interpretation of that phrase - made as a decorative mirror:

Embroidered Mask on Mirror

I mention it all here because the mask face at the top of the mirror was made entirely of freehand sewing machine lace ... it is this technique that I hope to resurrect at some time in the near future.

2 x US Fashion Dolls

These 2 were the first dolls out of the "collection box" - both are American & appx. 10"/25cm tall.  They were just a lit...