Monday 10 August 2020

" SPLITTING APART "

Feeling on the right track, I’m going along with my thoughts & make a start. (Uncertain if the 9 words will be ultimately suitable, I’ve decided to stitch each word separately - it will be easier to stitch & any word could be altered or changed later if necessary.) The words will be drawn out to a specific size (resembling the felt-tip drawing previously) & each letter will be traced off onto some fabric ready for patchwork or appliqué. Into my first drawer of ‘large scraps’ I find some pieces of cotton calico - perfect for using as a base fabric as it’s “unbleached & not fully processed” texture, could impart what Anger is often considered as being. I get them out & one is just the right size  so start with the individual letters by tracing the words on to the calico & then cut each ‘word’ into separate strips.



Having already picked cotton for the bandages (& now have them dyed), the significance of a ‘heart rears its head again’ & I immediately think of ‘LOVE’. As this too is an emotion (but a positive one) & from research to date, have concluded anger often is connected, begin to consider ‘emotional contrasts’. Pondering on this thought (with images of Indian weddings & red saris - why, I don’t know) I start to think of an opposing fabric to cotton … silk … by cost, by quality, by weave, by colour. Rummaging in the silk ‘remnants bag’, I find a piece ‘exactly the same blood colour’ (below) of the bandages & as I pull it out, immediately symbolise it as a ‘heart’ & LOVE. At the centre of any feelings & with its ‘rough weave’, the silk will impart a ‘rawness’ to any overall stitching & in contrast to the bandage cotton, will symbolise ‘blood’ & positive feelings.



A further rummage in another bag, results in some multicolour remnants of printed cotton & by laying these alongside the torn-up magazine sheets & painted emotional textures, appropriate fabrics are easily chosen (below) & by doing this, specific words match exactly with the fabrics … & another question was answered!



However it soon became apparent that some of the coloured fabric scraps were too small to be used for the patchwork panels I had envisaged. … so … QUESTION … how to achieve this now? 

2 x US Fashion Dolls

These 2 were the first dolls out of the "collection box" - both are American & appx. 10"/25cm tall.  They were just a lit...