Thursday 6 August 2020

Colour & Texture for NEGATIVITY

BACK TO REALITY … & again, another QUESTION? … following the bobbin experience, I ask myself what is Anger - how does it start - what process is involved - why does it happen - when does it finish… & how can it be shown graphically? Using my experiences of (mild) anger in different situations (a recent one being the bobbin & another when I pricked my finger on white fabric!), the best place to start was there! QUESTION? ... what colours did I see?


Researching those emotions involved directly or indirectly with Anger (& with first-hand experiences of several people I’ve come across), an extensive variety of words & phrases were considered as being important or significant. They were written down & predominantly found to be “negative” - especially those ones considered as being “un-useful for situations or  relationships” as it appeared these could easily spiral out of control. Finally, 9 emotive ones were selected as for the ‘cycle of anger’ to be displayed (ie. as it starts & ultimately ends):

ANGER - HATE - RAGE - DESTROY - HURT - PAIN - EMPTY - NUMB - CRY


Trying to envisage each of the above ‘emotive stages’ progressing, colour magazines were flicked through as the word was thought about. (Although I have often used other methods of recording ideas, this time I wanted “instant effects” quickly, so selected pieces of print depicting what I immediately visualised & matched to my anger.) If an image matched my feelings (with colour), it was torn out, the word written down & alongside, my immediate description of what I felt (see below):


Anger - suddenly explodes

Hate - is focused

Rage - spirals in any direction

Destroy - completes and is aimed or targeted

Hurt - 

Pain - is sharp and pointed is like ice

Empty - a void

Numb - feels nothing

Cry - comes in waves


This magazine tearing exercise was easy to do so the “ripping out” (use of torn fabric maybe?) was repeated again - this time, the word was envisaged as having texture as a shape or form & this was noted too:



Anger - red - harsh

Hate - purple - swirl

Rage - deep purple, red black - solid

Destroy - black - void

Hurt - orange/blue - sharp

Pain - greying - muting

Numb - clear - disappear

Empty - greyed edges - outlines

Cry - blue - soft


After doing these, the ripped page segments were vertically stuck down on a sheet of paper (a downward spiral suggestion perhaps?) with wording scribbled alongside for those feelings of the colours & textures I’d visualised. A further ‘rough sketch’ (below) depicting the ‘shapes or form’ imagined, was quickly painted which I hoped to use later for possible fabric selection.


2 x US Fashion Dolls

These 2 were the first dolls out of the "collection box" - both are American & appx. 10"/25cm tall.  They were just a lit...