Wednesday 5 August 2020

" STITCHES IN TIME " & a top-loading bobbin !

At this stage, it's very easy to head off in many other directions & am sure if there was sheets of metal easily to hand, a large 3D metal Anger structure would soon appear! But the piece to be made is a textile one … especially as I look over to see my latest sewing machine reminding me of what I’m here for! Since 1972, an Elna SU has been my main sewing machine & it’s done everything wanted as a designer/dressmaker. When broken & stitching was no longer perfect, they were replaced with ones found on eBay but unfortunately they can no longer be repaired & I’m now using the final one.


Teaching dressmaking for many years, I’ve witnessed various sewing users & always recommended Bernina machines - especially as it was a first choice of mine in 1970s (when purchasing the first Elna) but at the time they were too expensive for me. I dearly loved my Elna, had almost every sewing foot & accessory for it but had also obtained some other machines for other specific uses. Along with an overlocker (still going since the 1978), I also had an industrial & domestic computerised Pfaff machines for several years. The industrial one was finally sold & after an expensive repair to the domestic one, some 15 years ago, traded it in for second-hand Bernina 1630 (above) - a computerised machine with touch screen. About 3 years ago, an upgraded Juki overlocker was bought (with so many more stitching options than the one already owned) & then last year (after the trusty Elna had become a bit more noisy), thought an investment in a Bernina 1008 would be a good next step. Unlike the other Elna or 1630 machines, it had a front loading bobbin & every time it was used, the bobbin ended up rolling across the floor with me becoming increasing ‘rather angry’ about it. Also, it wasn’t as precise as the old Elna, found the tension to be less reliable & overall, used it less as I became more dissatisfied with it.


NOW FOR THE BEST BIT … Recently, while “playing around” & experimenting with some stitching for the Anger panel, the fine embroidery thread in the needle snagged & snapped in half! … I clearly saw part of it was wrapped around the inner spindle of the take-up lever … & my Elna would never have done this! After contacting the local shop, found it was now essential to have it repaired but after further discussion, decided to trade it in. The choice now was between a computerised Bernina 540 or a Janome 8900 & after Internet surfing both, decided on the latter - the main reasons being: it had a long arm (suitable for quilting or other large jobs), a push button & foot pedal control (which maybe in tyhe future very useful) but best of all, it had a top loading bobbin!



I’m highlighting all this within the story of the Anger panel for 2 reasons:  firstly I experienced a small sequence of “minor anger issues!” as a result of the 1008 front loading bobbin & secondly, the plan is to use both the new Janome & the 1630 for making the panel  & apart from recording my creative thoughts & ideas, included in the narrative are those experiences of the equipment being used - especially these 2 machines.

2 x US Fashion Dolls

These 2 were the first dolls out of the "collection box" - both are American & appx. 10"/25cm tall.  They were just a lit...