Thursday 25 August 2011

Where does a Dolly Bag come from ! ...

I was reminded of the doll project last night when "DOLLY" was mentioned on TV & I began to think of the 'DOLLY BAG'  I had made back in the 'Swinging 60s'.

In West London then, there was a popular 'local trend' for 'MODS' to own a DOLLY BAG. This handbag (either circular or oval in shape) was in a soft fabric, had drawstring handles & was often used to complete a favourite outfit. I had made my first 'Biba-style' dress in navy/white spotted cotton fabric & used scraps to make my bag - complete with a red lining & long rouleau-loop style handles! Over recent years, small DOLLY BAGS (similar shapes to the one I had) have since come to be used for wedding favors.


Whilst pondering on these thoughts (in the context of my doll project) has once again made me question the  origins of a DOLLY BAG & could any of these be connected:
  • A child may call a doll 'DOLLY' - is it a bag to carry one in ?
  • In past laundry equipment, there is a washing dolly - is it a bag for this ?
  • Or perhaps there's a connection to blue bags ? - and laundry again ?
The online Thesaurus doesn't help! Anyone any ideas, please email me:
carsydewe@gmail.com

2 x US Fashion Dolls

These 2 were the first dolls out of the "collection box" - both are American & appx. 10"/25cm tall.  They were just a lit...