Thursday 4 August 2011

Buttons & a textile artist ...

Handmade textile button & loops for suit
Last night, I found a specific & lost button in a 'work box'. I have had a tendency over many years to collect buttons (amongst other things). It started many years ago in Australia when I came across some carded 1920s-40s buttons ... being sold at stupid prices. I bought many of them as I love the old bakerlite shapes. Several years later (& back in the UK), purely by chance, I came across some 1940s glass buttons. I bought those too. Now I have several tins of old buttons - all beautifully shaped, some grubby, some shiny & new. A few years ago I decided to use a lot of them to show their beauty. At odd moments, they've been sorted ready for use but because of the anticipated ultimate size (large!!) & possible weight (heavy!), I haven't as yet got any further. However, now (or rather in the near future) I shall have time & space to make a start.

As I pondered on these thoughts last night, I also remembered a talk I attended by one of my favourite artists - Michael Brennand-Wood. Here's a short video showing his work:


2 x US Fashion Dolls

These 2 were the first dolls out of the "collection box" - both are American & appx. 10"/25cm tall.  They were just a lit...