Friday 1 February 2013

Review 1, update & 1000 words !


Looking through my work so far, I'm pleased at what I've achieved ... I am gradually coming to realise why I like the things I do & why I take certain photos, plus I'm also becoming more critical of what I'm doing as I actually do it. All this most likely caused by just sitting still (legs are still only walking a few steps)!

On reflection, it appears that the 'nature diary' I made when very young, has influenced me enormously throughout my life without me actually realising it.  I've never kept any sort of written diary (for more than just a few days) & can now understand why. I've often said that I wished I could have a camera in my head as images constantly just 'fly around'. For me, written words are 'very time consuming' & I'm starting to appreciate the saying:
"an image can say a 1000 words"

With reference to the nature diary mentioned above (I'll be writing it separately later), I can now understand why I like to record things the way I do. I've noticed both here & with my other blogs, that they all have a common 'essence' (a very good word & somewhat appropriate). Although not related directly to what I do within my textile work, I think it may be that quality I'm trying to find & 'capture' & I'm hoping that by continuing along this path, I will ultimately achieve this objective along with others too! (I know what I mean even if you don't!!)

One thing in particular I've enjoyed doing, is looking back over my digital work to date (image organising, blogs, use of a few new gadgets, etc) to see what I've (creatively) achieved so far. My digital recording methods may be very good in one context, but unlike a 'proper notebook', I find they don't have the immediate capacity to 'jog my memory' from earlier recordings. In fact it seems to make words & images 'disappear' as well as becoming rather 'impersonal'. Perhaps though, this may have been because I've been using this method more like a quick note-taker for the duration of the house/business moves. However, overall it has helped me to get back on track (creatively to where I was before I moved), gather my thoughts & ideas into a more cohesive form which hopefully I can now use & develop further.

For the reason of the 'disposable' quality mentioned above & that (for my use) the blogs I write are also rather 'cumbersome reference points' when read 'backwards', I've decided its now time to keep some 'digital chronological copies'. As I've been tracing my work & analysing it, it seems several 'themes' have kept repeating (especially over a period of years) & now on reflection, they need accessing. To maintain a 'focal point' will be important & rather essential especially as I intend to look at them individually & in more detail. I'll be looking at where they originated from in my past, & 'record' them together in some way & then see what happens next! Additionally, I feel this entry should be included with "Project: Interspection" - I'm not sure exactly why at this stage.

NOTE: I chose the above image (a section from yesterday's work as a 'negative') because I thought it  appropriate to represent the 1000 word phrase above ...  for me it's showing exactly that!

2 x US Fashion Dolls

These 2 were the first dolls out of the "collection box" - both are American & appx. 10"/25cm tall.  They were just a lit...