Monday 28 January 2013

STRUCTURES: Shape & Form ...


Often having ideas causes me a problem when it comes to them actually 'taking shape'. Thinking about this during the weekend, I came to a conclusion about where I should 'creatively' go next - look at STRUCTURES - SHAPE & FORM.

It seems as if I may be able to get some answers to some questions I ask myself. I'd quite like to start some actual drawings (with real pencils & paper etc) but with my supplies being in the studio, can't get to them easily. The next best thing (& quicker for me at the moment), is to work on this via my camera together with some images I came across whilst 'organising' things.

With this in mind, Saturday I ventured out (as a car passenger) armed with my camera & took shots of what, for me), showed STRUCTURE by SHAPE &/or FORM. On Sunday, I then looked up the definitions (see below) for comparison with what I had thought & captured on camera. It was quite an interesting exercise which I am intending doing more with other than 'initial note jottings'.

Official definitions: 

  • STRUCTURE - (noun) arrangement of & relationship between parts or elements of something complex (verb) construct or arrange according to to a plan, give a pattern or organisation to
  • SHAPE - (noun) external form or appearance of something or someone
  • FORM - (noun) visible shape or configuration (verb) bring together parts or combine to create something

(My) examples of the above definitions:

  • STRUCTURE - lines, circles, curves, angles, mental
  • SHAPE - buildings, churches, plants, flowers, universe, sky, clouds, water, sea, illusion
  • FORM - patterns, mathematic equations (chaos), textiles, mosaics, glass/mirafiori, animal skins, shadows/outlines, reflections, movement, nature

Considering this, today, it also made me realise why I am interested in some of the things I am & for what reason I'm drawn to them. It would appear (at the moment) they all have some things in common so will be looking at this in more detail tomorrow. 

NOTE: I've labelled this entry ART as within my actual filing system, this is where I would normally 'file' this type of information - alongside the image above.

2 x US Fashion Dolls

These 2 were the first dolls out of the "collection box" - both are American & appx. 10"/25cm tall.  They were just a lit...